On one of the nights of the events, Sally Dean will offer a performance with one of her costumes, and as this event has developed, we felt it would be good in that evening to host a conversation on interculture and performance. We have a list of questions we are whittling away, and we are inviting some people who live in Solo to participate. What is the relationship between the cultural experience of being an audience member and receiving the work, as felt, in the heart?
- what is a fair and mutually beneficial cultural exchange?
- how is culture shared and how is culture owned?
- what are the specific ways that we have each worked an integrated pluralistic forms and ideas into our own work?
- how does it mean that Prapto has taught so much of his work abroad for the cultural landscape of both the folks from other countries, as well as the artistic landscape in Java and Indonesia?
- what are the ways that the cultures and people involved invent new paradigms and aesthetics through the exchange, and what of these feel healthy, and which other veer into appropriation? Is that something felt?
- is it actually possible to have an equal exchange amongst cultures from the west and east?
- how does amerta movement provide tools for these kinds of questions through the experience of the intercultural history of the work?
- how do the financial disparities (for instance in Europe and Indonesia) factor in implicitly and explicitly in our conversations ... what are the systemic and interpersonal economic factors of a cultural exchange?
- what are the experiences of witnessing and participating in a performance from abroad in the context of culture?
Things like this....
........................................Posted by Margit Galanter